Mass at St Walburge, Preston
On Saturday, 27th September, Brother Adam and a group of parishioners from St Wilfrid's travelled to St Walburge's church in Preston, Lancs, for a Solemn Mass to celebrated by Mgr Gilles Wach of the Institute of Christ the King, in the Presence of Bishop Michael Campbell OSA, the Bishop of Lancaster. Bishop Campbell has recently asked the Institute to make a new foundation in Preston, and to take over the care of St Walburge's, which is to become a Shrine Church of the Blessed Sacrament.
The Institute of Christ the King is a Society of Apostolic Life, like the Oratorian Fathers, and is dedicated to the celebration of Holy Mass and the Sacraments in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. They have a great devotion to our own St Philip, to whom the Institute has dedicated its seminary in Florence, and their Patron Saint is St Francis de Sales, another Oratorian saint!
The beautiful church of St Walburge was opened in 1864, and was designed by J. A. Hansom. Joseph Hansom was married in St Michael-le-Belfry here in York, and among the other churches he designed are St George's, York (our neighbouring parish) and St Aloysius', Oxford (the church of the Oxford Oratory).
We wish the Canons of the Institute of Christ the King every blessing as they begin this new apostolate in the North of England.
Ss Philip Neri and Francis de Sales, pray for us!
With thanks to Martin Gardner and the LMS for these photographs.