On northern coasts
Watch Mass, Novena, and Benediction on Monday 17th May by clicking here: York Oratory YouTube
Here is the text of the novena: SPN Novena
The hymn before the novena is On Northern coasts by our Cardinal, Saint John Henry Newman. Here are the words; join in at home!
1.On northern coasts our lot is cast,
Where faithful hearts are few;
Still are we Philip’s children dear,
And Peter’s soldiers true.
2. Founder and Sire! to mighty Rome,
Beneath St Peter’s shade,
Thy early vow of loyal love
And ministry was paid.
3. The ample porch and portal high
Of Peter was thy home;
The world’s Apostle he, and thou
Apostle of his Rome.
4. And first in the old Catacombs,
In galleries long and deep,
Where martyr Popes had ruled their flock,
And slept their glorious sleep.
5. There in the night the youthful Saint
To heaven his prayers addressed,
Till a new Pentecost came down,
And burned within his breast.
6. And in that heart-consuming love
He walked the city wide;
And lured the noble and the young
From Babel’s pomp and pride.
7. And gathering them within his cell,
Unveiled the lustre bright
And beauty of his inner soul,
And won them by the sight.
8. And when he died, he did but go
In other lands to dwell,
A traveller now, who in his life
Ne’er left that one dear cell.
9. He travelled and he travelled on,
He crossed the swelling sea,
He sought our island’s very heart,
And here at length is he.
10. Glory to God, who framed a Saint
So beautiful and sweet:
Who brought him from St Peter’s side,
And placed us at his feet.